Restaurant, bar, and hotel licensing


DIA regulates food businesses like restaurants, bars (including those that only serve beverages), cafeterias, catering operations, mobile food trucks, farmers markets, temporary events, vending machines, grocery and convenience stores, bakeries and home bakeries, and food processing plants and warehouses. DIA also regulates hotels, motels, and inns (including bed-and-breakfast inns). 



Submit a complaint for DIA to review about:

  • Restaurants, bars, grocery stores, home bakeries, etc.
  • Hotels, motels, or bed-and-breakfast inns
  • Nursing homes, assisted living facilities, hospitals, etc.
  • Dependent adult abuse
  • Administrative law judges who work for DIA



Records requests can be made by filling out DIA's online form, by phone (515.281.7102), fax (515.242.6863), or mail, or in person at DIA's main office in the Lucas State Office Building, 321 E. 12th Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50319.

Some records you can access online via DIA's online databases, such as health facility reports and restaurant and other food inspections.

Social & charitable gambling


DIA regulates games of skill or chance, raffles, bingo, social gambling and amusement devices in Iowa. Qualified organizations may obtain a gambling license to conduct fund-raising activities benefiting educational, civic, public, charitable, patriotic, or religious purposes. License holders may also login here to file a gambling report for 2021.

Iowa Direct Care Worker Registry for CNAs


In Iowa, only certified nursing assistants (CNAs), also referred to as nurse's aides, are placed on the Direct Care Worker Registry. Find out how to be added to the registry, how to transfer to the Iowa registry, how to transfer to another state registry, how to stay active on the registry, and more. 

Consumable hemp


DIA handles registration for consumable hemp retailers and manufacturers. Consumable hemp products include, but are not limited to: food, chew or snuff, or topical application (e.g., lotions, tinctures). Consumable hemp products do not include those meant to be inhaled.

Photo of a pile of newspapers

DIA Press Releases

If you would like to receive press releases issued by the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals, please click the link below.

Elderly woman smelling a flower

2022 Governor's Quality Award

The Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals (DIA) is seeking nominations for the 2022 Governor’s Award for Quality Care in Health Care Facilities. The Governor's Award recognizes Iowa health care facilities that offer unique or innovative activities to enhance the quality of care or quality of life for their residents.

Nominations are open to all health care facilities licensed under Iowa Code Chapter 135C, which include nursing facilities, residential care facilities, and intermediate care facilities, including those facilities specializing in the care of persons with mental illness or intellectual disabilities. (Facilities not eligible for nomination are assisted living programs, elder group homes, or hospital-based nursing facilities as these facilities are not licensed under the Iowa Code chapter establishing the award program.)

Nomination forms may be downloaded here or obtained by calling the DIA Health Facilities Division at 515.242.5022. Nominations will also be accepted via the department's online nomination form.