Obtaining Legal Advice

All parties in contested case proceedings conducted by the Administrative Hearings Division are entitled to be represented by counsel at the party's own expense. Parties are not entitled to appointed counsel at state expense. Parties are not required to be represented by an attorney, but should be aware that the state or local agency may be represented by an assistant attorney general, a lawyer with the agency, or another agency representative. The administrative law judge cannot provide legal advice or representation, but will work to ensure that all parties are provided a fair hearing regardless whether the party is represented or pro se (representing oneself without an attorney). Parties should seriously consider obtaining legal advice or representation.

IowaLegalAid.orgParties in certain proceedings meeting income and eligibility guidelines may qualify for free legal assistance from Iowa Legal Aid.  To apply, call Iowa Legal Aid at (800) 532-1275 or visit www.iowalegalaid.org

The Drake Legal Clinic and University of Iowa College of Law Legal Clinic may also provide free legal assistance for certain parties.  To inquire, contact the Drake Legal Clinic at (515) 271-3851 or the University of Iowa College of Law Legal Clinic at (319) 335-9023 or (866) 251-5491.

A listing of other potential legal assistance resources across Iowa for those unable to afford representation is maintained on the Iowa State Bar Association's Find-A-Lawyer website.

The Division cannot provide referrals to private attorneys, but the following sources may be useful in obtaining private representation:

Code of Iowa

Printed from the website on August 13, 2020 at 9:36am.