DIA administers licenses and permits related to all electrical and mechanical amusement devices in Iowa businesses. An amusement device must meet the following requirements:
- Prizes must be merchandise only and must not exceed $50 in value. No cash shall be awarded as a prize.
- A device shall not be designed or adapted to cause or to enable a person to cause the release of free games or portions of games when designated as a potential award for use of the device.
- An amusement device shall not be designed or adapted to enable a person using the device to increase the chances of winning free games or portions of games by paying more than is ordinarily required to play the game.
Registered Amusement Devices may only be located on the premises of an establishment for which a Class "A," Class "B," Class "C," Special Class "C," or Class "D" liquor-control license, OR a Class "B" or Class "C" beer permit has been issued, pursuant to Iowa Code Chapter 123.
Purchasing Amusement Devices
Iowa Code restricts the total number of registered amusement devices that may be placed in the state [see Iowa Code Section 99B.53(6)]. Anyone interested in purchasing an amusement device for placement in an approved establishment, should contact the Social and Charitable Gambling Unit at SCG@dia.iowa.gov or 515.281.6840 for instructions on how they may place their name on the waiting list to register a device.
How to Register an Amusement Device
Individuals owning or possessing amusement devices may register electronically through the DIA's online Game Machine Management System (GMMS). Registrations may be purchased through the GMMS website if the individual uses a credit card. Once an account has been established, individuals may make changes to their information including changing the location of registered devices.
For assistance with the registration of electrical and mechanical amusement devices, please contact the department's Social and Charitable Gambling Unit at 515.281.6840 or send an email to SCG@dia.iowa.gov. View our instruction guide for accessing and using the new GMMS website.
- Each device must display a registration tag that is issued annually: $25 per device
- Manufacturer license: $2,500
- Distributor license: $5,000
- Owner license: $2,500 (no more than four devices may be placed at a single location)
- Qualified organizations: $0 (no more than four devices may be placed at a single location)
NOTE: A copy of 501(c) determination letter must be included with application