Official State of Iowa Website Here is how you know
Iowa Department of Inspections, Appeals & Licensing

DIA becomes DIAL!

On July 1, 2023, multiple programs across four agencies became part of the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals (DIA) as a new organizational structure for state government goes into effect. DIA is now the Department of Inspections, Appeals, and Licensing (DIAL). 

Homeowner and Farmer Electrical Information

Chapter 103 of the Iowa Code allows for homeowners and farmers to do electrical work on their property without the requirement of an electrical license. They merely apply for the Electrical Permit and schedule an Electrical Inspection as their wiring project proceeds. If they have any questions concerning their particular installation, we urge that they contact the Electrical Inspector Supervisor or view the Inspectors by County web page and State Inspectors for assistance. The scope of work allowed for the homeowner or farmer are slightly different, so please take note of the following:

Homeowner: The homeowner may do his or her own electrical work only on their existing principle residence that qualifies for the Homestead Exemption for property tax purposes. Their exemption includes any accessory buildings on the property that do not exceed 3000 square feet but does not extend to investment property, business property, rental property, vacation homes, etc. A new home must be wired by an electrical contractor.

Farmer: The exemption for the farmer is basically the same as that for the homeowner except that it extends to all agricultural properties that he/she may own and is not limited to 3000 square feet. Any new home or any existing residence other than the primary residence must be wired by an electrical contractor.

Electrical Permits

Electrical Inspections