RAGBRAI 2023 logo and map

Would you like to become a food vendor on the 2023 RAGBRAI route? Follow these steps to get your temporary food license:

  • Visit the USA Food Safety portal and login/create an account for your business. Fill out the temporary food license application (online applications are processed faster than paper). Applications should be submitted at least 30 days prior to your operation date.
  • Ensure all food and drink items that you plan to serve are listed on the application. Double-check dates of operation and contact information before submitting, as the department may need to contact you. 
  • Operators moving from town to town will require a license for each setup. Each license costs $50. If you wish to operate more than one food stand simultaneously within a county, each location requires a license.
  • Once an application has been approved, a temporary food license will be sent to the email provided. Print your license and make sure it is displayed properly during the entirety of your operation. 
  • Without this license, operators will have to pay a double fee and stop food sales until the fee has been paid.

In addition to a temporary food license, vendors selling alcohol must also obtain a license from the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division (ABD). To find out more about specific licensing requirements for selling alcohol, visit the ABD website. 

If you need assistance on the guidelines for a temporary food stand, what foods can and cannot be sold by food vendors, or when a temporary food license is needed for operation (including information for mobile food units), visit the temporary food establishments and events page. Visit the RAGBRAI website for more information about the route and RAGBRAI-specific vending requirements.

Do you need an event registration?

An event registration costs $50 and is required for overnight and pass-through towns and/or county municipalities and organizations along the RAGBRAI route that hold events where there are more than 10 temporary food/beverage vendors. (Conversely, an event registration is not needed for events with 10 or fewer temporary vendors.) Visit the temporary food establishments and events page for additional information. Event registration applications for RAGBRAI should be submitted by May 30, 2023.

How to apply for a temporary food establishment license



These agencies are the licensing and inspection authorities by county for the 2023 RAGBRAI route. Electronic applications can be submitted via the online registration portal for any county. Electronic applications are reviewed and approved faster than paper applications.

Please make sure to choose the correct jurisdiction for your county when you apply online.

Paper applications must be obtained from the appropriate agencies below.

Source URL: https://dia.iowa.gov/food/RAGBRAI-2023