PLEASE NOTE – This website does not support Google Chrome. If you wish to use this website, please try either Internet Explorer or Firefox.

Apply Now

License Application Wizard is an online tool that guides you through the process of applying or reapplying for a Social & Charitable Gambling license.

To create an online application using the License Application Wizard, click the link below.

Important: 10 minutes of keyboard inactivity may cause Wizard restarts. Please save your Wizard efforts at regular, frequent intervals.

The Social and Charitable Gambling Unit has administrative control for amusement games, contests, and casino nights operated in the state. In addition, the Unit regulates and licenses all games of skill and chance, bingo operations, raffles, and social gambling activities.

Visitors to this web site may apply and pay for a license electronically. When applying for a license, please keep in mind that Iowa law allows the Department up to 30 days to process an application. To avoid unnecessary delays and difficulties, please plan accordingly when organizing your event.

Most of the licenses issued by the Social and Charitable Gambling Unit are available only to non-profit, qualified organizations that dedicate the net receipts from a gambling activity to an educational, civic, public, charitable, patriotic, or religious purpose. Visitors to this web site who qualify for a Social and Charitable Gambling license may apply and pay for a license electronically.

Please review the information below before you begin.

Amusement Concession Licenses

Authorizes concession games of skill/chance at a fair, amusement park, or local celebration.

  • Amusement Concession License (One Year)

Amusement Sponsor's Licenses

Authorizes the sponsor of a carnival, bazaar, or celebration to conduct games of skill/chance with written permission from a city council or county board of supervisors. (No raffles)

  • Amusement Sponsor's License (14-day)

Social Gambling Licenses

Authorizes small stakes card and parlor games between individuals. Sports-betting pools may be conducted in beer and liquor establishments.

  • Social Gambling License - Beer & Liquor Establishments (Two year)
  • Social Gambling License - Public Places, No Alcohol Allowed (Two year)

Raffle at Fair Licenses

Each license authorizes one raffle conducted by either the sponsor of the fair or a licensed qualified organization with written permission from the fair board.

  • Raffle at Fair License (Duration of Fair)

Annual Game Night Licenses

Authorizes the event sponsor to conduct games of skill or chance and card games during a period of 16 consecutive hours as permitted in Iowa Code 99B.8. A bona fide social or employment relationship must exist between all participants and the event sponsor, or the event sponsor is a qualified organization, qualified veterans organization, or emergency services organization represented by a Qualified Organization.

  • Annual Game Night (16 hour) License - Non-Qualified Organization
  • Annual Game Night (16-hour) License - Qualified Organization
  • Annual Game Night (16-hour) License - Eligible Qualified Organization

Qualified Organization Licenses

Authorizes small games of skill or chance, bingo and raffles by tax-exempt organizations. No casino-type games. Applicants must either have a sales tax permit or have made application for a sales tax permit. Please note that the 90-Day, 180-Day, One Year, and Real Property raffle licenses are limited to raffles only; no other activities may be conducted with one of these licenses.

  • Qualified Organization License (Two Year)
  • Qualified Organization License (14-day)
  • Qualified Organization Raffle License (90-day) Raffles Only
  • Qualified Organization Raffle License (180-day) Raffles Only
  • Qualified Organization Raffle License (One Year) Raffles Only
  • Qualified Organization Real Property or Cash Prizes License $100,000 to $200,000 Raffles Only

Bingo Distributor/Manufacturer Licenses

Authorizes a distributor of bingo equipment or supplies to sell in the State of Iowa, or a manufacturer of bingo equipment or supplies to conduct business in the State of Iowa.

  • Bingo Distributor License (One Year)
  • Bingo Manufacturer License (One Year)

Card Tournament Licenses

Authorizes qualified veterans organizations to play card games, which are limited to poker, pinochle, pitch, gin rummy, bridge, euchre, hearts, or cribbage.

  • Veterans Card Tournament License (One Year)